Primtive Gingerbread Men Ornament Recipe


I have been surfing the net for a really good gingerbread ornament recipe over the last few months and I came across this recipe. I wanted darker gingers (hard to see in the pic) so for the cinnamon I used 2 T tablespoons and 1-1/2 Tbsp. of each Cloves and Nutmeg. They puffed up nicely which was different from using salt dough. These were a little moist so I may change it up or just try some of the other recipes I've pinned in my Pinterest account under Lee Anne Ingram @lahomespun in the "Gingie Love" board.
NOT intended for eating!!


Gingerbread Crafting Dough
Ingredients:
3 TBLS Shortening
1/2 Cup Sugar
!/2 Cup Molasses
1 tsp of Baking soda
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp ginger
3 1/2 Cups of flour
3/4 Cup water
Cookie cutters, peppercorns or small rusty bells and clear acrylic varnish

To Make:
Beat shortening and sugar together till light and fluffy, stir in molasses.  Sift dry ingredients and add to shortening mixture alternating with water.  Dough will be stiff, refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight. 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease baking sheets, or use a Silpat.  Cut dough into 3 pieces and knead to warm on a lightly floured surface.  Cut out using cookie cutters and place on cookie sheets. Decorate with peppercorns and rusty bells.  Bake for 20 minutes, then shut off oven and let cool inside. Remove ornaments from sheet and place on rack and allow to dry for 3 days.  Then preserve with 3 coats of clear varnish.  
 
For the 'frosting', I used puffy fabric paint to add a little detail. I need a bit of practice on this for future use. These looks like a grade school kid did them! lol!