My first crochet project

Well, it's been almost a year since I've posted anything on this block due to so many life changing events. I don't have internet available to me like I did when I lived in a house. For the last year and a half my husband and I have been full-time RVers. After we sold our home in Missouri, we left to come back to southern Indiana to be closer to our children. We decided to buy an RV to save on housing expenses as the housing market has hosed us twice now. Also, we have dogs so the idea of renting (wasting money) was not an option. With that being said, all of our belongings, or what's left of them, are in storage along with all my crafting tools/supplies and with such a small living space I can't have much on hand anyway. This is one of the major reasons why I haven't been crafting, but I have been into photography that much more so really that has been my "crafting". You may check out my portfolio here.

iPhone pics~


Last spring to fall, we camp hosted in the Hoosier National Forest at Hardin Ridge Recreational Area and while there I was given some knitting needles and some of the crafting "yarn" to make one of  those sparkly mesh scarves (shown below). After I finished that project, that sparked a desire to learn to knit, but in the process I came across some really cute crochet ideas too. A friend suggested crochet instead of knitting as she thought I might like it better than knitting. I went searching for crochet ideas and patterns and one of the first sites I came across was RepeatCrafterMe. She has so many FREE patterns and they are easy to read for beginners. The sizing came out correctly too. 


One of the other tools in learning to crochet was a little beginners book I purchased at Walmart for about $5 which was a big help in learning the basic stitches. I would recommend going to YouTube and checking out some of the many "how to" videos as that was very helpful too! Some of the channels I learned from are Hectanooga1, naztazia and Simple Crochet. Basically, you want to learn a stitch or find a pattern go do a search and learn it. Sometimes it's just helpful to see someone's demonstration of a stitch.

When I am at my daughter's house, I download the videos I want using an app called ProTuber and that allows me download to my iPad or phone and view them anytime I want without data charges.

Here is is the pattern I used to make my granddaughter's owl hat. I had a bit of trouble figuring out the nose so my rendition is what was used. I think she is cute...and it has kept her sweet little head warm this winter!

The thing about crocheting is that the supplies take up very little space too. Knitting isn't off the table as I have many needles that belonged to my mother-in-law. When I was very young, a neighbor friend taught me to do some basics by knitting a scarf. Now that I'm older, I'd like to explore that crafting venue at some time. My daughter has recently said she'd like to learn to crochet too and I look forward to teaching her. =)