Cast Iron Skillet Cinnamon Roll

After seeing a post on Facebook, I believe, of a cast iron skillet cinnamon roll I figured the next time I made rolls I'd give that a try. This is my version of a skillet cinnamon roll. I used my trusty cinnamon roll bread machine recipe from Allrecipes that I've used for years as I thought it was a good place to start. I had no idea if the dough would fit in my 10" skillet, but I figured I'd give it a try. 

I must state that the recipe above is a really good recipe and I've used it for years, but I wanted to try using raw honey this time as I wanted a less sweet roll...not as much sugar as I'd always used as I just don't like all the sweetness anymore. I used 2-1/4 cup of unbleached flour and 3/4 cup of whole wheat white flour that equals the 3 cups as stated in the recipe. After adding all the ingredients to my bread machine and processing on the "dough" cycle, I spread the dough out to about a 10" x 16" (just eyed it) rectangle. I rolled it out till it was all about the same thickness then I spread about 3 tablespoons of butter, 1/4 cup honey or so and about 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon. I really just sprinkled enough cinnamon till I though I had enough. My cinnamon is organic and it is really strong so I don't always follow recipe amounts when it is called for as this one called for almost two tablespoons. 

With a pizza cutter or knife, cut strips of about 1-1/2" on the long side not the short ends. You want to roll your first strip up like a cinnamon roll and then take the next strip of dough and add it to the first roll and keep adding the strips till you can't handle it easily anymore...it was about four strips in for me and I had to place my large rolled up strip of a roll in my well greased (I use coconut oil) cast iron 10" skillet..in the middle. Now take each subsequent strip and keep adding to your roll until all dough is used. It will be a little messy, but it's so worth it! Don't stress if it isn't perfect or if it is just shy of the edge of your skillet in filling it up because as it sits in a warm area the dough will rise and fill up any left over space in the pan.


Once all strips are rolled around your bun, cover loosely with a towel or plastic wrap till it rises a bit. Mine took about 30 minutes on a warm 180 degree stove. Once risen to fill the pan, bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for about 25- 30 minutes. I lightly cover mine with foil about ten minutes in or when it is golden brown as I don't like a really dark roll on top and it will get dark on top if you don't pay attention. Ovens vary so just watch carefully.


Oh, I sprinkled a little brown sugar on top before baking too. For icing, I followed the recipe. This made for a nice, tender and not too sweet of a roll for me and it was really good. The skillet didn't overly brown the bottom or sides either.