Pizza Hut Original Pan Pizza Recipe

I came across this recipe that replicates the Pizza Hut Pan Pizza about three years ago and it is a family fav! Since that time, I just use my regular Allrecipes pizza dough recipe (cut in half) as it works best for serving my husband and I...don't need two pizzas for two people. It's the oil added to the pan that makes the pizza that glorious, golden crunchy crust that is like the Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas. It truly is delicious!

I make mine in my 10" cast iron pan in our RV oven and works well in a 12" regular pizza pan too. When I make it in my cast iron pan, it is a deep dish and on the pizza pan it is a thin crust...just a matter of what you want. We like to have one variety on Sunday night and the other on Wednesday evening for supper. 

*My directions call for two bakes of the dough...I don't know how others can only bake once and get a nice crunchy crust bottom as many recipes state, but I do two and always have. It just makes the best tasting pizza!


1/2 recipe of Pizza Dough 1 
(highly rated 4-1/2 stars out of 5 with over 2k reviews)
makes 1-10" cast iron deep dish or 1-12" thin crust

1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/4 tsp. dry yeast
1 tblsp. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tblsp. sugar
1/2 cup warm water (110°F)

Preheat oven to 450°. Combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Stir with a fork till it pulls together and kneed in bowl till nice and smooth and shape into a ball, cover dough lightly with oil; cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

Roll out dough with roller to fit bottom of your deep dish pan then add 2-3 tblsp. of canola oil (I use coconut oil) or more as the recipe states 3oz. to your deep dish pan and make sure it covers the sides and evenly fills the pan; then lay your dough on top and let it sit in a warm spot and allow it to rise. 

The Pizza Hut recipe states rising time as 1-1/2 hours, but mine don't take that long...maybe about 30 minutes as my kitchen is pretty warm. When it has risen to my liking, I bake it till the bottom is nice and golden...maybe 7-10 minutes for my gas oven. 

Once the dough has firmed up a bit, I gently lift it out of the pan to check to see if it has that golden color on the sides/bottom before I take it out of the oven. If my oven isn't quite hot enough, I take the crust out of the pan (once firm) and place it directly on the oven rack to brown up a bit. 

Once it is the way I want it, take out and add sauce seasonings and toppings. Put it back in the oven (in pan) long enough for the cheeses to melt and top is golden. For me it takes about 5-7 minutes. Ovens can vary on temp/cook times so watch your dough carefully to see how your oven performs with this recipe.

**For the 12" thin crust pizza pan, I add about a tablespoon of oil to the pan to get a nice golden crunch or if you don't want to use that much oil, just oil the pan well and roll dough out onto the pan and bake till dough is firm and golden on bottom. If you want to get it browner quicker, just slide it (once dough is firm) directly onto the oven rack till it is to your liking, but watch closely so it doesn't get too brown or burn. Take out and add toppings; put back into oven and bake till cheese is melted and top is golden.

This pizza was baked in a round aluminum pan:


Cast Iron Pan


The Pizza Hut Pan Pizza recipe is really good and if you haven't made pizza dough before follow those directions. I just like to adjust recipes to my personal tastes and needs. I've been making pizza dough for over ten years and always prefer home cooked pizza to eating out as it is healthier, you know exactly what is in it, less fat/oil than store bought and eating out, it's more economical and best of all...it tastes BETTER! Give it a try and if you fail...keep trying. Mistakes are what happen in the learning process. The Allrecipe recipe has never failed me though...it is super easy and if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help.
Enjoy!