Fall Rustic Truck Wreath


The rustic truck bandwagon is still going strong and I love it, personally. So, I decided to make a fall wreath using an old truck design as the focal point. I have a fall wreath on my door that I made in 1999 so I felt it was time to make something new. He was simple and cute to make. I don't remember the designer I used to make this...maybe Heidi Markish or Karen Stone inspiration? It's just been too long ago to know, but he has hung on our door each fall since. Actually, he is still hanging on my door because when I posted my raw cutout truck idea, I had some orders and didn't keep one for myself. Oh, well, maybe next year. :)



To get a head start, I went to Etsy and searched for svg designs. The shop I purchased from is PrettyVectorsLab. They have so many cute files to choose from so go check them out! Once downloaded, I enlarged the truck to fit into an 18" grapevine wreath, printed the design out onto a heavier weight paper, traced it out onto 1/4" plywood sheet (purchased at Lowes for about $13), cut it out with my scroll saw, sanded front/back, traced out basic lines using graphite paper and stylus then I picked out acrylic paints. 




I changed a few places by moving the tail lights down a little in a smaller size and added a rectangle license plate to personalize. After I finished my project, I found that I should have made it a bit wider to accommodate longer names to personalize. Just part of the process...you change as you go and do it better next time around.


In choosing colors, I wanted a blue truck as I thought it would be a nice contrast to all the fall colors. For the rusty areas, I went with a darker orange brown color I had on hand. Some contrasting shades in each color was used to add details to each part of the truck. 



Finished and ready to drill a hole at the top and one on each bumper side to be attached to the grapevine wreath with wire or you could just attach a wire loop at the top and hang it on your door instead of adding it to a wreath. I'm happy with it as a wreath though!